Participant Assessment & Preparation
As the CDRD Executive Institute’s program is tailored to the specific needs of each selected participant, comprehensive pre-program activities will take place over July-August, and include:
- A series of web-based assessment surveys completed by participants, direct reports, peers and superiors;
- A 60-minute call between the participant and a CCL executive coach to debrief on the findings of the assessment, and to draw out specific individual goals;
- Pre-reading for workshops.
Highly relevant, research-based content to expand knowledge and address essential challenges will be delivered through five multi-day workshops beginning in September 2019, and concluding in May 2020 when a special “capstone event” will be held to mark the successful completion of the program.
Workshop Dates and locations are:
- September 23-24, 2019 – Montreal
- November 13-15, 2019 – Toronto
- January 20-21, 2020 – Vancouver
- March 9-10, 2020 – Montreal
- May, 2020 (date TBC) – Toronto
Note: Participants are required to attend each of these workshops in person, and will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation, and other related arrangements and expenses.
The instructor/participant ratio for the workshops is no more than 10:1. Content will center around themes of Personal Branding, Strategic Leadership, the Culture of Innovation, and includes CCL’s unique Looking Glass Experience, a complex business simulation designed to help individuals understand how they lead and influence others in an organization, and to:
- Develop the ability to recognize opportunities and avoid pitfalls, balance tactical concerns with strategic possibilities, and become better decision makers;
- Understand strengths and developmental needs, and set specific goals to successfully navigate complex leadership situations;
- Gain self-awareness on how to best adapt to complex organizational challenges and the effect they have on productivity;
- Communicate more effectively at all levels, and receive constructive feedback;
- Receive direct, applicable insight of the complexities involved in managing a global enterprise.
Workshops will also include specific discussion on:
- Business operations – The heart of all other challenges in the complex and uncertain world of life sciences;
- Strategic issues – Setting and realizing vision, direction and goals;
- Preparing for growth & managing change – Both day-to-day, and in the long-term;
- Boundary spanning – Leading across levels, silos, cultures, backgrounds and interests;
- Individual impact – Understanding and adjusting leadership style, and effectively building trust and influence.
A great coach can be the secret weapon behind professional success. They have the right words and the right questions at the right time to help executives adjust their practices to achieve greater levels of success. They expand perspective, inspire, and provide challenge and support like no one else can.
The CDRD Executive Institute is deeply personalized through seven hours of one-on-one sessions with a CCL executive coach, identified from their worldwide team, who aligns with the participant’s development needs and personality. Through a research-based approach, coaches will help guide participants in their personal assessment, goal setting, integration of the learnings into their own experiences, and in planning ongoing steps in their development.
Peer Power – Formal Accountability Peer Groups will be formed to provide participants a vehicle to gain broader perspectives on issues they are experiencing, and to add depth to feedback and key ideas, while offering extensive long-term networking opportunities to provide connections, ideas and support.
Accountability Group sessions (as well as ongoing inter-sessional connecting) and related assignments will focus on tackling key organization challenges, and participants will network and learn from fellow leaders with comparable real-world experiences and familiar challenges.
Anytime, anywhere access and opportunities for short, intense learning centered on leadership/skill-building for complex, volatile environments will also be offered through complementary on-line training. These digital resources will allow for learning in the work environment, and for putting the lessons learned immediately into practice. These resources as well as all course content and materials, and your personal documents will be combined into a centralized Learning Management System for easy access and reference.
Continual Learning – Leadership development is a journey that doesn’t end after 10 months. The CDRD Executive Institute offers ongoing resources to apply and sustain graduates’ learning experience. These include:
- REFLECTIONS®, an assessment to measure skills and behavior progress, completed after the program;
- A one-hour phone session with their CCL coach to assess ongoing needs and goals;
- Access to webinars, eLearning, and micro-learning resources for one year.
To enhance ongoing executive development, program graduates will also have the opportunity to teach topics about which they are passionate to co-workers and others, and to continue their involvement through extended peer groups, and by becoming mentors for new Executive Institute cohorts.