The Centre for Drug Research and Development (CDRD), Canada’s fully-integrated national drug development and commercialization centre is pleased to announce the global launch of its Entrepreneurial Fellowship in Drug Development Program to support entrepreneurial researchers interested in the commercialization of their innovative pre-clinical drug development technologies.
About the Fellowship
The aim of this program is to provide a unique opportunity for young entrepreneurial researchers from across the globe to work at CDRD, and be provided with full research support and access to all infrastructure in order to develop their early-stage innovative technologies towards commercialization over a two year period with the following specific objectives:
- To progress their technologies through the pre-clinical drug development pipeline
- To broaden their practical investigative skills, and gain invaluable experience under the mentorship of leading authorities in their fields
- To generate commercial interest in their technology.
Successful applicants will receive a full-time competitive, Post-Doctoral remuneration package for a maximum of two years, and join a vibrant health sciences community based in Vancouver, BC where entrepreneurship and innovation are cornerstones of CDRD’s values. It is envisioned that successful applicants will conduct research across CDRD’s Scientific Divisions as their technology is advanced through the various phases of pre-clinical development. Furthermore, participants will be encouraged to seek out additional funding opportunities, and will be provided assistance in preparing grants for supplemental and/or longer-term support.
At the time of submission, it is expected that applicants will have:
- Completed initial proof-of-concept studies towards a specific therapeutic market opportunity
- Developed a proposed commercialization strategy addressing both scientific and business objectives.
Working with CDRD
CDRD provides drug development expertise and infrastructure to enable researchers from leading health research institutions to advance promising early-stage drug candidates in a collaborative manner. CDRD has the capability to work with investigators to develop lead compounds including small molecules, peptides, small interfering RNA and therapeutic antibodies.
CDRD’s facilities and expertise are designed to complement what any single university or research institute can offer. Researchers gain access to a fully-equipped and fully-staffed drug development platform. These internal platforms support each stage of the pre-clinical drug development process from target validation, high-throughput drug screening, medicinal chemistry and drug delivery to pharmacology/toxicology. CDRD is also home to a robust platform in biologics focused on the discovery and optimization of therapeutic antibodies, the fastest growing class of new medicines.
Who may apply?
To be eligible, applicants must have:
- A doctoral degree (PhD), awarded no earlier than 2008
- Canadian citizenship, permanent residency in Canada or status to work for a Canadian organization (Successful international candidates may be supported in their application for a working visa by CDRD )
Application and Review Process
- The Letter of Intent must be completed in the format shown here.
- The completed Letter of Intent must be submitted to email@example.com, with ENTREPRENEURIAL FELLOWSHIP in the Subject Line
- Applications will then be short-listed, and outstanding applicants will be invited to submit a full application under a confidentiality agreement.
The review processes will be managed by CDRD, and the proposals deemed as having the highest therapeutic, innovative and commercialization potential impacting on the world’s health sciences environment will be selected.
The proposal may be focused on any therapeutic indication. In our evaluation, we will look for the following:
- Excellent, innovative science that addresses an unmet medical need
- A program with the potential to address a critical scientific question and advance development
- Technology with a commercial potential, and the potential for intellectual property protection
- Fit with CDRD’s capabilities and capacity
- Fit with the strategic vision of CDRD
Intellectual Property Status
It is not necessary to have filed a patent application when submitting a proposal. However, the technology must be unencumbered, i.e., rights in the subject technology cannot have been granted or optioned to a third party by the applicant or institute.
CDRD will be glad to answer any questions, and assist in application submission. Please do not hesitate to write or call. If required, CDRD will conduct a webinar to answer some of the most frequently asked question. Please direct all inquiries to:
Dr. Brian Duff
Ph: +1 604 827 1197
CDRD is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. The organization does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin in the administration of its employment policies.
This Request for Proposals and your submission of a Letter of Intent does not commit CDRD to select any Proposal or Applicant, to enter into any agreements with any Applicant or to conduct any project with any Applicant, and CDRD reserves the right to reject any or all Proposals at any time, and to terminate this Request for Proposals at any time.
In providing CDRD personal information in the course of your application, you consent to the collection and use by CDRD and CDRD Ventures Inc. of such information for the purposes of evaluating, awarding, and managing relevant Fellowships and projects. We will use and protect personal information in accordance with British Columbia privacy law.