CDRD Key Achievements to Date
Since becoming fully operational in 2008, CDRD has already achieved a number of key milestones and outcomes, making a significant impact on Canada’s drug development environment.
- Genesis of the idea – how do we bridge the gap?
- $1.2M in seed funding from the government and industry.
- $20M for equipment and building from CFI/BCKDF.
- CDRD is launched with $25M from Province of BC.UBC lab construction begins.
- $15M from federal CECR Program.Affiliation agreements completed with original academic partners.First industry partnership signed with Pfizer.
- More than 280PIs engaged, 19 approved projects.SFU and BCCA locations open.
- Expansion of academic affiliations across Canada.First project successfully outlicensed.75th trainee.
- Expansion into Biologics.First global academic partnership established.100th project supported.First CVI partnership with Roche
Highlights of outcomes to date…
- 750 Projects evaluated
- 99 Novel technologies (135+ research projects) supported
- 125+ Principal Investigators assisted
- 80 technologies successfully advanced towards commercialization
- 8 technologies out-licensed to the private sector or being optioned by CVI
- 1 spin-off company launched
- 11 new patent families supported with CDRD data
- 18 collaborations on scientific publications
- $67 million in grant funding facilitated for PIs and their CDRD-related projects
- $30 million in international pharmaceutical sector investment attracted
- $152 million in incremental commercially-focused health research being conducted as result of CDRD
- 94 Post Doctoral Fellows, co-op students and interns through the CDRD Training Program
- Over 75 drug development and commercialization workshops and seminars offered.
CDRD’s Senior Vice President of Business and Strategic Affairs (now President and CEO), Karimah Es Sabar announces new industry partnership with F. Hoffman LaRoche